Authorities suspend trekking activity at Mt. Kanlaon

Posted by watchmen
August 22, 2017
Posted in TOP STORIES

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

Park authorities from the Mt. Kanlaon Natural Park suspended all trekking activity after the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) raised the alert status over Mt. Kanlaon.
In a radio interview over the weekend, Park Superintendent Concordio Remorosa said trekkers can either be refunded for bookings or wait for Phivolcs to lift the alert.
Remorosa said they have several trekker groups scheduled to conduct climbs until the month of October.
Earlier on Friday, Phivolcs declared an Alert Level 1, after several abnormalities were noted by volcanologists.
Records released by Phivolcs showed over 244 volcanic quakes have been recorded since June of this year.
Ground deformation data also indicates the structure of the volcano has remained inflated since December of 2015.
Following the issuance of the alert status, authorities immediately barred the public from traveling to the volcano’s four-kilometer danger zone.
Phivolcs has also coordinated with the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), advising pilots to avoid flying close to the volcano’s summit as sudden phreatic eruptions can be hazardous to aircraft./WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *