By CESAR JOLITO III
Two officials at the Negros Occidental provincial government are now facing formal administrative charges after a preliminary investigation found probable cause for grave misconduct, gross neglect of duty, serious dishonesty, and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.
Provincial Legal Officer Alberto Nellas, Jr. confirmed that the case against Sanny Balinas and Rodney Dejilla has already moved into a formal administrative investigation phase under the Provincial Legal Office, following the issuance of show-cause orders and a 60-day preventive suspension signed by Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson.
Nellas said the investigation stemmed from findings of alleged mismanagement involving the Silay Oxygen Plant, where both engineers previously held key positions.
Investigators reportedly noted issues such as deterioration of materials and lapses in preventive maintenance, which raised concerns over operational oversight and accountability.
The Provincial Legal Office said its investigating officer determined the existence of prima facie evidence sufficient to elevate the matter to a formal charge, as outlined in Memorandum Order No. 2026-016.
The two engineers were placed under preventive suspension starting May 14 this year, as part of ongoing efforts by the provincial government to ensure an impartial review of the allegations.
Authorities said they are now awaiting the formal responses of Balinas and Dejilla, who may either submit position papers or opt to face a formal administrative hearing to address the charges.
The case remains under investigation as provincial authorities proceed with due process./CJ, WDJ