‘Verbal tussles’ only; Campaign should not resort to violence, BSKE bets told

Posted by watchmen
October 10, 2023
Posted in HEADLINE

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson reminded candidates in the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE) to limit their campaigns to “verbal tussles” only.

With only 10 days left before the official campaign period begins, Lacson told aspirants that their election campaign should not resort to violence.

The governor expects that the campaign period in the province will be heated.

“We just have to show the world that here in Negros Occidental, that in spite of the campaign period, no untoward incident will happen,” Lacson said.

The governor further said BSKE candidates must keep their promises to their constituents.

He also advised candidates allegedly involved in premature campaigning to heed the show-cause orders issued by the Commission on Elections (Comelec).

As of yesterday, Comelec-Negros Occidental elections supervisor Atty. Ian Lee Ananoria said they have already issued a total of 73 show-cause orders to candidates allegedly engaged in premature campaigning.

The campaign period for the BSKE will be from October 19 to 28.

Election day is on October 30.

 

No poll-related incidents recorded

Meanwhile, the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (NOCPPO) said yesterday they have not recorded any election-related incidents so far.

NOCPPO spokesperson, Police Captain Judesses Catalogo, said it is possible that rival political groups in the province are hesitant on stirring up trouble due to the tight security, particularly at checkpoints, across the province.

Catalogo said police intelligence units have also strengthened their monitoring in the villages, especially in areas known to have the presence of communist insurgents.

NOCPPO also confirmed that they have not received complaints from candidates about the insurgents conducting extortion activities such as “permit to campaign.”

Catalogo advised Negrenses to remain cooperative with local authorities for a safe and peaceful election in the province.

Earlier, the Comelec identified 51 villages in Negros Occidental as “areas of concern.”

Negros Occidental has a total of 662 barangays./DGB, WDJ

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *