By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
Negros Occidental will not allow additional flights to the province this December after 17 local government units have already asked for moratoriums on the arrival of locally stranded individuals (LSIs), provincial administrator Rayfrando Diaz said.
The Regional Inter-Agency Task Force (RIATF) on Saturday, December 12, has granted moratoriums on LSI arrivals to Ilog and Cauayan towns (Dec. 20 to January 3, 2021); La Carlota City (Dec. 22-Jan. 2); Pontevedra (Dec. 22-Jan. 5); Himamaylan City, Victorias City and Calatrava (Dec. 21-Jan. 3); Bago City (Nov. 26-Dec. 5); Sagay City (Nov. 26-Dec. 10); Hinobaan (Dec. 15-22); and La Castellana (December 22 to Jan. 5).
The RIATF also granted LSI travel halt to the province on Dec. 24, 25 31, and Jan. 1 and to Bacolod City from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3.
The moratorium on LSI arrivals will allow the local government units (LGUs) to rehabilitate their quarantine facilities and to also allow medical frontliners to have a break during the holidays.
The LGUs with pending requests for moratoriums on the arrival of LSIs are the towns of Candoni, Manapla, Moises Padilla, and Valladolid.
Meanwhile, Diaz said the airline companies are now worried that they may not have enough passengers with the moratoriums on returning LSIs.
To recall, Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson revealed last week that the Bacolod-Silay Airport will be closed for passenger traffic on Dec. 24, 25, 31, and Jan. 1, 2021 in order to allow the health workers assigned in swabbing new arrivals the time to rest and celebrate the holidays./DGB, WDJ