3ID commander slams NPA for ‘hampering’ drive for peace

Posted by watchmen
March 3, 2020
Posted in HEADLINE

Philippine Army 3rd Infantry Division (3ID) commander, Army Major General Eric Vinoya, slammed New People’s Army (NPA) Apolinario Gatmaitan Command spokesperson Ka Juanito Magbanua for criticizing the Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict in Negros Occidental and rejecting localized peace talks.
According to the military official, Magbanua needs to enlighten himself on the matter.
Vinoya said the insurgent’s press statement “clearly revealed his ignorance about the real purpose of the peace efforts.” He went on to say Magbanua is “completely unaware that his comrades, family, relatives, and even he can benefit from these drives that aim to address root-causes of insurgency.”
The division commander then accused the NPA official of not helping alleviate the local social condition and making lives worse and miserable through exploitation and abuse to advance their selfish and ruthless armed struggle.
“You always boastfully claim that you are the voice of the oppressed and depressed populace, and you are fighting for the welfare of the masses, but your actions always contradict your words,” he added. “That is the painful truth about your terrorist organization Negrenses should know,”
The 3ID commander also noted, “Condemning and rejecting Negrenses’ drive for peace and progress is equivalent to hampering their fervent desire for a peaceful and progressive community.”
He added, Magbanua’s recent statement only showed the public how their organization is indeed full of selfish, greedy, liars, along with cold-blooded individuals.
Meanwhile, Vinoya also threatened insurgents in the region that they will be wiped out unless they surrender.
Last month, Magbanua called the P87 million being proposed by the Negros Occidental provincial government for an “anti-insurgency fund” would be “a waste of time and money.” He claimed the fund is a method for government, police, and military officials to steal, noting, the P33.5 million allocated by the Office of the Governor has no clear plan on where it would be spent. Additionally, he also criticized the P41.1 million intelligence fund, which he claimed did not undergo a proper auditing process.
The NPA official said, “[The] ‘counter-insurgency’ program is only being used to ‘militarize’ services of local government units.”
He went on to say the funding is being weaponized to destroy their revolutionary movement, which he claims will sow more fear among the public and result in more human rights abuses.
Philippine Army 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, Army Colonel Inocencio Pasaporte, responded by laughing off Magbanua’s claims, stating, the latter is trying to discredit the provincial government.
“We find it funny why he is questioning,” Pasaporte explained. “Maybe it’s because he wants to have some but, kidding aside, the funds will be utilized to help former rebels reestablish themselves in society.”
He also denied the fund would be used to “militarize” services of the local government.
Last February 11, the Provincial Peace and Order Council approved an P87 million budget for its projects, programs, and activities in Negros Occidental; while also allocating P26.1 million for an intelligence fund./DGB, WDJ

In response to NPA Apolinario Gatmaitan Command spokesperson Ka Juanito Magbanua criticizing the Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict in Negros Occidental, 3ID commander, Army Major General Eric Vinoya, the insurgent’s press statement “clearly revealed his ignorance about the real purpose of the peace efforts.” (3rd Infantry “Spearhead” Division photo)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *