Driver involved in deadly Villamonte accident released
By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
Following the deadly accident in Barangay Villamonte last Thursday, where a driver was suspected to be intoxicated, the Bacolod City Land Transportation Office (LTO) yesterday admitted they are not equipped with breathalyzers.
“The equipment is still due to arrive,” said LTO-Bacolod district head Reuben Tampos.
He added, the entire region has yet to receive such equipment, noting, officials depend on physicians to make the determination if a driver is drunk.
Breathalyzers can affirm if an individual is intoxicated by measuring their blood-alcohol level.
Tampos also noted, during an earlier conference with LTO officials, a trainer’s training still needs to be organized before they are able to enforce RA 10586, or the Anti-Drunk and Drugged Driving Act of 2013.
Meanwhile, Luigi Malacon, the driver involved in the said incident, which left three dead and four injured, was released from custody after no charges were filed against him within the 18-hour reglementary period.
In a radio report yesterday, the Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) said they exerted efforts to proceed with an inquest of the suspect; however, they were barred from proceeding due to the lack of the victim death certificates, which would have been used as evidence against Malacon.
Earlier this week, the drive rammed his sport utility vehicle (SUV) into a tricycle.
Malacon is the cousin of EB Magalona Mayor Marvin Malacon./DGB, WDJ