Country first

Posted by watchmen
July 25, 2017
Posted in SPORTS

The Philippines was reportedly set to host the 2019 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, however, Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Chairman William Ramirez last week announced the country withdrew its hosting bid for the 2019 games.
In his letter to Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) President Jose Cojuangco, he said, while the country accepted the chairmanship for ASEAN in 2017, the ongoing situation in Mindanao compelled the PSC to withdraw its bid and instead assist in the rehabilitation effort in Marawi City, the capital of Lanao del Sur.
The Philippines previously hosted the SEA Games in 1981, 1991, and 2005.
Ramirez said the POC will support the athletes competing at this year’s SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and will see how things turn out following the 2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan before submitting bids to host the next SEA Games or other international sporting events.
Meanwhile, the PSC will reportedly be spending P86 million for this year’s SEA Games, intended to cover airfare, accommodations, uniforms, and allowances for the country’s 497 athletes.

Earlier this month, the Philippines Games and Amusement Board (GAB) signed a memorandum of understanding with the Professional Boxing Association of Thailand (PBAT) in an effort to protect professional boxers.
According to the agreement, both sides will require favorable endorsement from their respective gaming bodies before hosting a fight.
GAB Chairman Abraham Kahlil Mitra; PBAT President Naris Singwancha; and WBC vice president, Police General Kovid Bhakdibhumi led the signatories of the agreement.
These recent actions underscore efforts to put the country’s interests first./WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *