
By CESAR JOLITO III
Many young people eventually become estranged from their families once they start as activists or members of advocacy groups to become armed operatives, the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) said, raising concern over what it described as the long-term emotional and familial impact of the communist insurgency.
In a statement, NTF-ELCAC cited the case of Vince Francis Dingding, an alleged New People’s Army (NPA) member, who died in the latest encounter with government troops in Negros Occidental’s Cauayan town on Saturday, May 16.
The military identified Dingding as a former student leader from the University of the Philippines (UP) – Cebu, who later allegedly joined the armed underground movement linked to the Communist Party of the Philippines – NPA – National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF).
The task force said Dingding reportedly became active in youth and political organizations before allegedly entering the armed movement in 2017 and operating on various guerrilla fronts in Negros for nearly a decade.

The agency said the case highlighted what it called a “recurring pattern” of young activists eventually joining armed rebel groups, resulting in broken family ties and emotional trauma among relatives left behind.
NTF-ELCAC also revealed details of a handwritten letter dated May 18, allegedly signed by Dingding’s parents, Romulo and Rica Dingding, requesting that matters concerning their son’s death be coordinated through their barangay captain to spare the family further distress.
The letter also reportedly disclosed that the victim’s mother is currently battling colon cancer and had been advised to avoid stress during her treatment and recovery.
The task force particularly emphasized a postscript in the letter stating that the family had decided not to claim Dingding’s remains in Negros Occidental.
According to NTF-ELCAC, the statement reflected the “deep emotional toll” caused by armed conflict on families of individuals involved in insurgency activities.
The agency reiterated its criticism of the CPP-NPA-NDF, accusing the movement of not only causing deaths in armed encounters but also damaging relationships and leaving lasting trauma on families and communities.
The CPP-NPA-NDF has yet to issue a statement regarding the allegations and claims made by the task force.
Worsening realities
In a Facebook post, Nagkahiusang Kusog sa Estudyante (NKE), Dingding’s former student organization, said the former student graduated from UP Cebu in 2016 with a degree in computer science.
NKE said Dingding served in several student leadership roles, including vice chairperson of the student council during his final term.
It said Dingding joined campaigns opposing the K-12 program, the pork barrel system, the college tuition scheme, and the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement.
“For many youth activists, activism was never detached from the worsening realities outside the campus,” NKE UP-Cebu said.
“He gave his life to the people without asking for recognition in return,” it added.
The other fatalities were identified as Jobert Casipong, Gilbert Tingson, Rolando Dantes, and Alex Chavez Languita.
Earlier, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander Brigadier General Jason Jumawan said the five slain suspected rebels were linked to at least 23 civilian killings since 2025, including three this year who were alleged military informants.
Jumawan claimed Dingding served as the NPA – South East Front’s political instructor and deputy secretary until the guerrilla unit was earlier declared dismantled./CJ, WDJ