Bacolod logs first leptos death

Posted by watchmen
February 21, 2024
Posted in News


By Mae Singuay

The Bacolod City Health Office (CHO) said a 32-year-old male from Barangay Pahanocoy was the first fatality due to leptospirosis this year, from two cases recorded as of February 10.

CHO data revealed the casualty was a vendor of dressed chicken.

Grace Tan, CHO’s Environment Sanitation Division chief, said the patient has a wound on his left foot.

He became ill on January 2, was admitted to the hospital on January 8, and passed away on January 12, she added.

Tan said denial of a leptospirosis infection and delayed health-seeking behavior are still the most common reasons for complications and death.

The CHO recorded a total of 92 leptospirosis cases last year, with 16 deaths.

Leptospirosis is caused by the leptospira spirochetes bacteria.

The illness is contracted from exposure to water contaminated by the infected animals’ urine, especially rats./MS, WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *