By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) in Negros Occidental is now fully ready as the campaign period for the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE) begins today.
Comelec-NegOcc elections supervisor Atty. Ian Lee Ananoria said local candidates strictly followed the regulations set by the provincial poll body.
During the campaign, which will run until October 28, political aspirants are prohibited from distributing giveaways, such as t-shirts, bags and caps to voters.
Ananoria said only the candidates’ campaign staff are allowed to wear them.
Candidates must also adhere to displaying campaign posters in designated areas only.
The Comelec will also conduct “Operation: Baklas” during the campaign period, which aims to remove illegal campaign materials outside the common poster areas.
Meanwhile, Ananoria said no additional show cause orders have been issued against local candidates in relation to premature campaigning.
Earlier this month, the Comelec-NegOcc already issued a total of 144 show cause orders.
Ananoria said so far no BSKE candidate in Negros Occidental had been recommended for disqualification by the Comelec in Western Visayas due to election-related violations.
He confirmed that six candidates, mostly from Iloilo province, received recommendations for disqualification.
Election hotspot areas in Negros Occidental still remain at 51.
No villages have either upgraded or downgraded their status.
Ananoria said they are confident that the elections in the province will remain peaceful.
However, the poll body will not let their guard down and they will continue their monitoring./DGB, WDJ