Multiple murder raps; NegOr solon Teves, 5 others to face charges for 2019 killings 

Posted by watchmen
August 14, 2023
Posted in HEADLINE
File photo shows several firearms seized during a raid on three properties allegedly owned by Negros Oriental 3rd District Representative Arnolfo Teves, Jr. in the province on March 10, 2023. The raids are in relation to the complaint he faces for the murder of three individuals in 2019. (CIDG / File photo)
File photo shows several firearms seized during a raid on three properties allegedly owned by Negros Oriental 3rd District Representative Arnolfo Teves, Jr. in the province on March 10, 2023. The raids are in relation to the complaint he faces for the murder of three individuals in 2019. (CIDG / File photo)

The Department of Justice said multiple murder cases will be filed against suspended Negros Oriental Representative Arnolfo Teves, Jr. and five others for the murder of three individuals in 2019.

There’s a lot of evidence gathered. This took how many months, so almost four months of preliminary investigation,” Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said at a press conference on Friday, August 11. 

Remulla said the cases will be filed before the Regional Trial Court in Manila.

Ang tatlong kasong ito ay kasama sa mga bagay na nagbigay takot sa mga tao sa Negros Oriental,” Remulla said.

Mahabang panahon na kasi, maraming natatakot dito sapagkat ang pagpatay ng mga tao sa larangan ng pulitika at ano pa mang dahilan, ay napakarami talagang nangyayari,” he added.

Teves was accused in the murder of Michael Dungog, a former Negros Oriental provincial board member, who was gunned down in Dumaguete City on March 25, 2019.

The lawmaker was allegedly involved in the killing of Pacito Libron, an alleged hitman linked to Teves, shot while riding a motorcycle at Barangay Malabugas in Negros Oriental’s Bayawan City; and Lester Bato, a mayoral candidate’s bodyguard, on May 26 of the same year.

He was also accused of allegedly masterminding the Pamplona massacre, which resulted in the murder of Governor Roel Degamo and nine others on March 4 of this year.

Five individuals will also be facing charges for their alleged part in the killings four years ago, including Hannah Mae Sumerano, Richard Cuadra (alias Boy Cuadra), Jasper Tanasan (also identified as Bobong Tanasan), Alex Mayagma, and Rolando Pinili (alias Inday).

Remulla said if prosecutors were not able to meet the deadline, they will file the cases on Monday, August 14. 

Meanwhile, Teves’ legal counsel, Ferdinand Topacio, said the indictment was no surprise.

“Coming as it does in the wake of the declaration of our client as a ‘terrorist’ by the Anti-Terrorism Council [ATC], we expect more of the same harassment to come. What else can we expect of a Justice department whose leadership has been using the laws as a blunt instrument of persecution?” Topacio said.

“With our faith in our justice system undimmed by the anomaly of a few men trenching upon the criminal justice system, we shall continue to defend the rights of our client to the fullest extent, confident that God sees the truth, but waits,” he added.

Earlier this month, Teves was designated by ATC as part of a terrorist group operating in Negros Oriental. 

Teves, whose whereabouts remain unknown, has yet to return to the country since March./With reports from ABS-CBN News, PNA / WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *