By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
The Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (NOCPPO) said yesterday that they have not recorded any apprehensions of curfew violators during the first night of the province’s unified curfew hours.
NOCPPO spokesperson, Police Lt. Abegael Donasco, said with the exception of the incident that took place in San Carlos City on Monday night, the first evening of the curfew was relatively peaceful and uneventful.
Donasco said the residents of the province were clearly listening to the advice made by the authorities, which aims to stop the spread of coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19, cases.
The NOCPPO spokesperson added that she is hoping the public would continue their cooperation.
In response to the high-profile incidents which have taken place in Luzon in the past few days wherein two alleged curfew violators died, Donasco assured the public that they will treat anyone violating the curfew in the province humanely.
The Department of Justice had earlier reminded local government units and law enforcement not to detain or fine quarantine or curfew violators, but instead be handed over with a community service time as a penalty.
Earlier, Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson issued an executive order introducing a unified curfew protocol for the whole province from 8:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
Bacolod City, meanwhile, remains under the 11:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. curfew hours./DGB, WDJ