By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
In response to the report released by the Provincial Tourism Office (PTO) that some hotels and resorts in Negros Occidental are now fully-booked for the observance of the Holy Week, Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson reminded vacationers to be careful and remain vigilant against the coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19.
Lacson did not specifically tell the Negrense vacationers to stay home instead, although he reminded them to still observe the proper health protocols and avoid going to crowded places.
“What we are trying to do here is trying to avoid a further increase in the number of positive COVID-19 cases,” Lacson said.
He also said he is not discouraging Negrenses or other travelers from Western Visayas to visit the province’s popular tourist destinations, however, at the present he is not keen on allowing tourists coming from Metro Manila and Cebu.
“They just have to be extra careful and follow health protocols,” he added.
Last week, PTO head, Dr. Jennylind Cordero, said resorts and hotel establishments, especially those located in Northern Negros, are already fully-booked.
Cordero said around 60 to 70 percent of the province’s resorts and accommodations are already fully operational.
The number of tourists entering the province is also gaining momentum after the removal of some travel restrictions within Western Visayas.
The observance of the Holy Week will begin on March 28, Palm Sunday./DGB, WDJ