W. Visayas records 42 firecracker injuries

Posted by watchmen
January 7, 2021
Posted in TOP STORIES

Forty two persons were injured in firecracker blasts in Western Visayas between December 21, 2020 to January 5, 2021, according to the Department of Health 6 (DOH-6).

A Filipino reveler injured from a firework accident is rushed to a government hospital during celebration of New Year last 2015. (Ritchie Tongo/EPA photo)

DOH-6 noted this total of firecracker-related injuries was lower than the 122 recorded in the same period last year.

“Sang last year sa aton sentinel site may ara kita 47 cases kag sa non-sentinel site may ara sang 75 or a total of 122 cases. Subong relatively lower sia kay may yara lang kita 42 cases or 166 percent lower compared last year,” said Dr. Bea Natalaray, head of DOH-6’s Non-Communicable Disease Sector.

Of the 42 firecracker-related injuries, 17 were from Negros Occidental; Iloilo province – nine; Aklan, Antique and Capiz with four each; Bacolod City – three; and Iloilo City – one. Guimaras province, meanwhile, recorded zero case.

Natalaray said nine of the firecracker blast injuries were reported by DOH-designated sentinel sites (government hospitals) while 33 were from non-sentinel sites.

She added that those in the age range between 10 to 20 years old recorded the most number of injuries, while the top causes of firecracker injuries were boga, kwitis and triangulo./WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *