By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
Philippine National Police (PNP) Deputy Director for Operations, Police Major General Cesar Hawthorne Binag, yesterday condemned the actions of Police Senior Master Sgt. Jonel Nuezca after he killed two people in Tarlac’s Paniqui town.
Binag, who was in an official visit at the headquarters of the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (NOCPPO) in Bacolod City yesterday morning, said he has yet to receive the official report of the incident, although he commented that he will not tolerate the involved cop’s actions.
“Tingan ko muna ‘yung report, pero syempre palagi naming sinasabi ‘yan kapag ang pulis meron maling ginawa wala kaming atubiling i-dismiss sila,” he said.
According to Binag, since the beginning of President Rodrigo Duterte’s term in 2016, the PNP has filed over 16,000 cases against erring cops, of which over 4,500 have already been dismissed from the service and another 8,000 cops were slapped with suspension orders.
“We have been performing non-stop in our internal cleansing programs,” Binag said. “Kung magkamali ka dismissal ka or suspension,” he added.
Earlier on Sunday, Nuezca shot dead 25-year-old Frank Anthony Gregorio, and his mother, 52-year-old Sonya Gregorio, during a heated argument.
Nuezca, who was assigned at the Parañaque City Police Crime Laboratory, fled the crime scene after the shooting, but he later surrendered to the Rosales Municipal Police Station in Pangasinan.
Aside from the two-counts of murder filed against Nuezca, it has also been discovered that he had been involved in two homicide incidents last year, and had also been handed with a suspension order in 2014 for allegedly avoiding a drug test./DGB, WDJ