By Adrian Stewart Co
After relinquishing his WBO world super flyweight championship and being inactive for almost two years, Negrense boxer Donnie Nietes is targeting to make his boxing return by early next year.
The Murcia, Negros Occidental-native, who recently signed with Dubai-based MTK Global and D4G Promotions, said he is targeting to return to the ring by February or March 2021.
And to keep himself in shape as he awaits for the end of the coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19, pandemic, Nietes has been training with the newly-opened Villamor Brothers Boxing Gym of Edmond and Edito Villamor in Cebu City.
“Ang target boxing return ko is February or March ng 2021,” the 39-year-old Nietes said. “Hindi pa tapos ang misyon ko sa boxing. Gusto ko pang manalo ng isang world championship.”
Edmond, for his part, said that the four-division world boxing champion Nietes is still far from retirement and can still keep in step with the world champions in the super flyweight division.
“Disiplinadong boxer si Donnie, wala siyang mga bisyo at lagi niyang mine-make sure na kondisyon siya,” said Edmond, who was Nietes former mentor when he was still with ALA Boxing Promotions.
Nietes has not stepped into the ring since December 31, 2018 when he scored a split decision win over Japanese Kazuto Ioka for the WBO world super flyweight belt. He immediately relinquished the world championship at the start of 2019.
Since then, Nietes was inactive from boxing due to shoulder injury. He was supposed to return to boxing this year but the COVID-19 pandemic halted his plans.
Nietes currently has a 42-1-5 win-loss-draw ring record, including 23 stoppage wins. His lone defeat was a controversial decision against Indonesian Angka Angkotta in 2004./ASC, WDJ