By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) sub-station at the Bredco port in Bacolod City confirmed yesterday that the Manila-bound vessel that had been stranded on Thursday, November 12, due to Typhoon “Ulysses” has been allowed to leave.
Chief Petty Officer Louie Campaner, PCG-Bredco sub-station commander, said the M/V St. Therese of the Child Jesus of 2GO Travel left the Bredco port at 6:35 p.m. on Thursday.
Campaner said the vessel was allowed to sail after they received the November 12, 5:00 p.m., weather bulletin from the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) stating the tropical cyclone warning signals along the vessel’s route had been lifted.
Earlier on Thursday, 183 Manila-bound passengers and 148 cargoes were stranded at the Bredco port as “Ulysses,” the 21st cyclone to hit the country this year, ravaged the southern and central areas of Luzon, including Metro Manila.
As of 11:00 a.m. yesterday, at least 39 bodies have been recovered while dozens more are reported missing.
Nearly three million households in and around Manila were without power as people waded through waist-high floods, carrying valuables and pets./DGB, WDJ