By Adrian Stewart Co
After almost a year of inactivity, Negrense boxer Donnie Nietes is set to return to boxing after signing a deal with massive managerial conglomerate MTK Global and D4G Promotions.
The Murcia, Negros Occidental-native, who previously held titles at strawweight, junior flyweight and flyweight divisions, said he is thankful with the trust as he believes that he is still far from retirement.
“I am very happy with this new step in my career,” the 38-year-old Nietes said in a statement. “It means so much to me. Being a part of this team is brilliant and I am very grateful.”
“I’m happy with what I’ve achieved so far,” added the Negrense fighter. “The journey has been wonderful and I will forever cherish how I worked hard in building my successful career.”
In Nietes’ sights are massive showdowns with the “Big 3” of the 115-pound division—lineal champion Juan Francisco Estrada, four-division and reigning titlist Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez, and former lineal champ Srisaket Sor Rungvisai.
“I’m not done yet and I am now hoping to get a fight with Estrada, Rungvisai and Chocolatito. I want to be back as soon as possible. Whether it be December or January,” Nietes said.
“I am currently preparing already and I am pleased to be going back in the ring after two years. I will bring pride to MTK Global, D4G Promotions and my country Philippines,” he added.
Nietes has not stepped into the ring since December 31, 2018, when he scored a split decision win over Japanese Kazuto Ioka for the WBO world super flyweight belt. He immediately relinquished the world championship at the start of 2019.
Since then, Nietes was inactive from boxing due to shoulder injury. He was supposed to make his boxing return this year but the Covid-19 pandemic halted his plans.
Nietes currently has a 42-1-5 win-loss-draw ring record, including 23 stoppage wins. The Negrense boxer’s lone defeat was a controversial decision against Indonesian Angka Angkotta in 2004./ASC, WDJ