By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson yesterday led the launch of Panaad sa Negros Festival 2020, which is scheduled to take place from April 20 to 26 at the Panaad Park and Stadium in Bacolod City’s Barangay Mansilingan. The governor affirmed festivities would proceed despite the ongoing threat from the 2019 novel coronavirus (nCoV).
“For now, there [has been] no local transmission so let us have a positive mindset that this celebration will happen,” he said in a subsequent press conference.
However, the governor said he will not hesitate to cancel the event if necessary but hoped the virus does not dampen spirits.
Meanwhile, Philippine health officials have recommended the cancellation of major events in order to prevent the spread of the virus.
In terms of security, Negros Occidental Police Provincial director, Police Colonel Romeo Baleros, said around 1,000 police officers will be tapped to endure peace and order during the event.
In addition, Philippine Army 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, Army Colonel Inocencio Pasaporte, said reservists will augment police forces.
Last month, Lacson said renovations at the Panaad Stadium will proceed even when the Panaad sa Negros Festival commences in April.
“We will not be using that part of the Panaad Stadium,” the governor explained. “There is no need for a work stoppage.”
Earlier, he also revealed main events will take place at the Panaad Park Stage./DGB, WDJ