Caelian slams social media user for ‘irresponsible post’
Negros Occidental Provincial Disaster Management Program head, Dr. Zeaphard Caelian, warned the public about “fake news” surrounding the Kanlaon Volcano, which is located on Negros.
“Always verify the source and, please, stop sharing this news because it will only cause misinformation and confuse the public,” he said.
The provincial official cited a social media post by a certain QR Zaguirre.
Last Monday, the individual in question posted on Facebook: “Mt. Kanlaon Lord… sana pasabugin muna din ito… plz… plz… TY.”
“They should think about this,” Caelian said. “These people do not know that lives, livelihood, and the environment [are] at stake.”
“Pray for a safe province and always be prepared and be proactive in disaster preparedness,” he added.
Earlier this week, Caelian assured Kanlaon has not been affected by the eruption, pointing out, the alert level at Kanlaon was lowered to “Alert Level Zero” by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology last year due to the volcano’s “signs of normalcy.”
“Taal and Kanlaon have separate activities,” he added.
Notably, however, Kanlaon, which last erupted in 2006, is considered the third-most active volcano in the Philippines, behind Mayon and Taal./DGB, WDJ