By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
After the families of those victimized by New People’s Army (NPA) atrocity in Moises Padilla and nearby areas penned a letter last month to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) calling on the law enforcement agency to conduct an investigation as a means of attaining justice for the deceased, another letter was recently sent calling for a “quick resolution” to their cases.
In a letter sent to CIDG-Negros Occidental head, Police Lt. Colonel Luke Ventura, they requested his office to investigate the murders, pointing out, they have already informed CIDG director, Police Major General Amador Corpus, of the matter.
Following the recent death of former Barangay Tanod Ronnie Ortouste in Moises Padilla’s Barangay Montilla, they said his family is also seeking justice, adding, his children are willing to testify but are currently unable to do so out of fear that they will be killed by the NPA.
They also said the sworn affidavits by Robert Sualog and Jully Opiar against Moises Padilla Mayor Ella Celestina Garcia-Yulo and Vice Mayor Adrian Villaflor should also be looked into despite the court earlier dismissing the murder charges.
Earlier, the families of Jaime Mori, Technical Sergeant Romeo Infantile, Edwin Liboon, Armando Secuya, Magdaleno Grande, Bernard Bolhano, Dave Valente, Joerito Amable, Alejandro Borres, Michol June Ruales, Rusty Caminade, and Jolomar Hilario sent the letter to CIDG director, Major General Amador Corpus, dated June 14, claiming their kin were victims of the NPA-Special Partisan Unit, which operates throughout central Negros.
“Their deaths have caused us emotional and mental suffering, aside from the financial difficulties we have experienced since the victims [were] ‘all fathers of the family’ who earned a living for us, their parents, wives and children,” they stated in the letter.
They added, individuals such as Hilario, a municipal councilor, served in government.
The letter also noted, while the NPA has claimed responsibility for the said killings, the government has yet to take active steps in dealing with the assailants.
“We hope that the government, through your office, will help us seek justice for our departed relatives by conducting an immediate and through investigation of each of the cases involving these 12 victims of the NPA atrocities,” the families added./DGB, WDJ