By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
In response to President Rodrigo Duterte indicating his intention to form special “hit squads” to counter the New People’s Army-Special Partisan Unit (NPA-SPARU) and other communist rebels, the NPA Leonardo Panaligan Command yesterday criticized the plans, calling the administration’s “desperation” to form a death squad.
In a statement by spokesperson Ka JB Regalado, he asserted, the formation of a “death squad” means Duterte is claiming responsibility for the more than 20,000 victims of extrajudicial killings.
He also criticized the order issued earlier this week calling for additional troop deployments in Negros, Samar, and the Bicol Region, claiming it was Duterte’s way of getting his “own politicians” to expedite charter change and federalism through a nationwide Martial Law.
Last Tuesday, while visiting troops at Camp Rajah Sikatuna in Carmen, Bohol, Duterte said he would form his own hit squad which would specifically liquidate SPARU and suspected supporters of the communist movement.
“I will match their talent of assassinating people,” Duterte said./DGB, WDJ