By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
The husband who lost his pregnant common-law wife, along with the twins she was bearing, while undergoing treatment at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital (CLMMRH) scored government agencies for alleged inaction over his request to release the autopsy and investigation reports.
In a press conference yesterday, Jose Cesar Penario said he found the ongoing investigation by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) as “too slow.”
He said is has been 40 days since the autopsy was conducted by Dr. Nicasio Botin, the regional NBI medicolegal officer.
“I have called and texted him several times for an update on my daughter’s case but he has not replied,” Penario said.
Penario’s wife and twins passed away on January 17 due to alleged negligence by hospital staff.
Penario previously sought the assistance of advocacy group Task Force Crusaders (TFC).
John Chiong, TFC deputy national commander, said he called agency’s Office of Deputy for Regional Operation Service who “promised to follow up on the case”.
“Maybe he is just busy with his workload as he is the only medicolegal officer for the whole of the Western Visayas, as well as of the Negros Island Region (NIR),” Chiong pointed out.
NBI-NIR investigator William de Arca said the result of the autopsy and the investigation report are with the crime laboratory at their national office.
He noted, Penario “is not coordinating with us;” a claim the complainant has denied.
Meanwhile, Dr. Julius Drilon, chief of the hospital, denied his institution and staff had been negligent, asserting they did everything to save Geronca, a resident of Barangay 10, and her twins.
Penario also claimed hospital personnel, who are currently under investigation by the Department of Health, have tried to “reach him.”
“I am not open for any settlement with anyone,” Penario stated./WDJ