By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga
303rd Infantry Brigade (303IB) commander, Colonel Elizer Losañes, said they are now prepared for the upcoming Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) meetings, scheduled from March 21 to 24 in Bacolod City.
The Philippine Army is part of the more than 3,000 personnel coming from different agencies of the government that will oversee the security of the participants.
He also visited the multi-agency monitoring center, last Saturday, along with members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Office of Civil Defense.
He added the overflights of the FA-50PH “Fighting Eagles” in Negros Occidental were also part of the ASEAN preparations, wherein pilots are familiarizing themselves with the province’s terrain, in case they are needed to be scrambled in an emergency.
Previously, Police Regional Office-18 (PRO-18) Director, Police Chief Superintendent Renato Gumban, said there are no major changes to the security plans.
The Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), meanwhile, said they are not monitoring any threats to the event, and have also decided not to declare a gun ban in the city, saying they are confident that licensed gun owners will be responsible enough./WDJ