Iloilo City could retain its quarantine status or be elevated to a stricter category following its reclassification by the Department of Health (DOH) as high-risk area for coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19.
Mayor Jerry P. Treñas said the city’s COVID-19 cases are still going up per report of the City Health Office as of July 12.
“We can’t be complacent yet. I have been saying time and again that COVID-19 is still here, and we really have to follow the health protocols, and get vaccinated. We are doing everything we can to improve our situation,” he said.
Based on the city’s data, the two-week growth rate (TWGR) showed an 8.5 percent change, placing the metro at moderate risk.
However, the average daily attack rate (ADAR) or number of cases per 100,000 population was at high risk with 20.1 percent from June 28 to July 11, compared to 18.6 percent from June 14 to June 27.
At high risk, too, is the healthcare utilization rate or HCUR (wards, ICU, and isolation beds and mechanical ventilators utilization) at almost 80 percent.
“Per community quarantine decision framework of DOH, Iloilo City is at a high risk classification for COVID-19 given our TWGR, ADAR and HUCR,” Iloilo City COVID-19 focal person, Dr. Roland Jay Fortuna, said.
The city is currently on modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
The number of cases from July 1 to 12 is at 1,157, with 709 registered in the last seven days. Most of the cases are local transmission reaching almost 74 percent of the total.
There was a 24 percent decrease in daily case average from July 1 to 12, 2021 with 96 cases, compared to 127 during the same period in June this year.
Iloilo City has 1,491 active cases as of July 12 with 335 deaths and 10,223 recoveries since last year./WDJ