Saw smuggled into NODJ –BJMP

Posted by watchmen
July 5, 2021
Posted in HEADLINE

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

The Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) in Western Visayas believed that the saw used in last week’s jail break at the Negros Occidental District Jail (NODJ) was smuggled via deliveries into the jail.

BJMP-6 spokesperson Atty. Jairus Anthony Dogelio said the saw used by escapees Francisco Epogon, Marvin Celeste, Danilo Celeste, Alejandro Montoya, and Daniel Tamon was either smuggled within food or clothing handed over by visiting family or friends.

Dogelio said visitation at the jail had been suspended ever since the COVID-19 pandemic began, although food and clothing deliveries are allowed in which BJMP personnel will accept it and then hand them over to the inmates.

He also revealed that at least 15mm of steel bar of Cell No. 6 was sawed off by the escapees.

Following the findings, Dogelio added they will start checking every item being delivered by visitors into the jail, prior to being handed over to the inmates.

Last Tuesday, June 29, Epogon, the Celeste brothers, Montoya, and Tamon bolted out of the NODJ located at Barangay Tabunan in Bago City.

The BJMP later sacked Jail Supt. Pricel Arevalo due to the incident.

The following day, authorities tracked down the escapees at the Barangay Blumentritt in the town of Murcia which led to the death of Marvin Celeste and Tamon’s recapture.

On Friday, July 2, the police and the BJMP tracked down the remaining three escapees in Barangay San Fernando in Talisay City which led to the death of Danilo Celeste.

Police are still searching for Epogon and Montoya, warning the public that both escapees are “armed and dangerous” and urged them to contact their nearest police station if sighted.

A bounty of P10,000 for each of the two remaining escapees is also offered to those who can give details which will lead to their recapture./DGB, WDJ


The San Carlos City government through the City Environment Management Office ended the annual tree planting activity in the city’s Barangay Prosperidad on Sunday, July 4. A total of 1,350 native trees were planted by the city officials, police officers and representatives of the different national and local offices since July 2. (San Carlos City PIO photo)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *