Power Watch Negros seeks inquiry on ‘overpriced’ contract extension

Posted by watchmen
June 10, 2021
Posted in TOP STORIES

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

Local power advocacy group Power Watch Negros is currently seeking a congressional inquiry over the alleged overpriced contract extension of 20 megawatts of power supply between the Central Negros Electric Cooperative (Ceneco) and KEPCO SALCON Power Corporation.

Wennie Sancho, lead convenor of Power Watch Negros, said the 20 megawatts power supply is overpriced at P5.42 per kilowatt hour compared to the lowest calculated bidder priced at P3.29 per kilowatt hour.

The said bidding was made during a Competitive Selection Process last month.

According to Sancho, the alleged overpriced contract extension would leave a P4 to 5 million monthly loss for Ceneco’s power consumers, which further amounts to P300 million in one year.

The 20 megawatts power supply was bought by Ceneco from KEPCO SALCON as an extension after its 40 megawatt contract expired last May 30, 2021.

Sancho added that he has forwarded the issue to Negros Occidental 3rd District Rep. Francisco “Kiko” Benitez, seeking a possibility of holding a congressional inquiry over the alleged overpricing./DGB, WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *