The Department of Social Welfare and Development 6 (DSWD-6) extended financial assistance to the families of the nine suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) who died in police operation in Tapaz, Capiz on December 30, 2020.
DSWD-6 Assistant Regional Director for Operations Delia Bagolcol said that they had already given P25,000 as burial assistance to each of the family of the nine persons, totaling to P225,000.
Bagolcol said they also gave 70 sleeping kits amounting to P90,648 to 66 affected families and P8,820 amount of toys for the children.
Food packs and hygiene kits were also given.
“Our office extended financial assistance and food packs to the families of the nine persons and even their burial because our office will automatically give assistance whether civilian or rebels. Wala tayong pinipili na bigyan ng assistance, kahit NPA man or civilian we have to extend our help,” Dagolcol added.
She said that they are also waiting for the request of the local government unit of Tapaz for additional assistance for the families of those killed during the operation.
“The DSWD Field Office 6 assures that the provision of basic services will be given to the affected families in particular with regards to the protection of internally displaced persons,” Dagolcol added.
To recall, nine persons were shot dead in the operation jointly conducted by the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Region 6, Police Regional Office 6, and Philippine Army’s 12th Infantry Battalion in some villages in Tapaz town on Dec. 30.
Authorities identified those who were shot dead as:
- Roy Giganto, former village chief and now village councilman of Barangay Lahug, Tapaz. He was the leader of the Tumandok and he had linked to the leaders of the Central Front Committee of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)
- Reynaldo Katipunan
- Mario Aguirre, village councilman of Barangay Lahug
- Rolando Caspillo of Barangay Tacauyan
- Maurito Diaz Sr. of Barangay Tacauyan
- Eliseo Gayas Jr. of Barangay Aglinap
- Artilito Katipunan of Barangay Acuña
- Jomar Vidal of Barangay Daan Sur
- Garzon Jimenez Catamin of Barangay Nayunlan./WDJ