Negros Occidental Provincial Health Office backs ‘State of Calamity’ declaration

Posted by watchmen
July 27, 2019
Posted in TOP STORIES

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson yesterday confirmed the Provincial Health Office (PHO) has recommended a “state of calamity” be declared due to the rising number of dengue-related cases in the province.
In addition, the governor said five local government units in the province earlier requested an outbreak declaration. However, he said, the province overall is still at an “alert” level and not an “epidemic.”
Meanwhile, Lacson urged the public to continue cleaning their surroundings in order to control the spread of dengue fever.
The governor earlier issued an executive order declaring a heightened alert status.
Based on PHO data earlier this month, there has been a 73 percent increase in dengue-related cases across the province. Between January and June of this year, they recorded a total of 2,800 dengue cases, up from the 1,600 recorded during the same period last year.
Records showed the highest number of cases were reported in Kabankalan City, San Carlos City, Bago City, Cadiz City, and Cauayan.
PHO also noted there were 10 fatalities this year, five of which were recorded in Cadiz City, the highest of any locality in the province./DGB, WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *