In response to the Iloilo City Health Office (CHO) reporting six dengue-related deaths in the city between January and July 10 of this year, Iloilo City Mayor Jerry P. Treñas issued an executive order for all government offices and city barangays to conduct clean-up drives in their respective jurisdictions.
According to CHO data, there have been a total of 619 dengue-related cases reported in the city, with the Jaro district recording the most with 168.
Assistant city health officer, Dr. Mae Delmo, said this year’s figure is a 180 percent increase from the number of cases reported during the same period last year.
The most recent dengue-related fatality was a five-year-old kindergartener from the Mandurriao district.
Meanwhile, Iloilo City Councilor Allan Zaldivar, who chairs the Sangguniang Panlungsod Committee on Health, said they will be launching an anti-dengue advocacy campaign later this month, July 20, at the Calumpang gym in the city’s Molo district.
“This advocacy campaign will serve as augmentation to the existing programs and activities,” he explained. “We are going to dissemination (sic) proper information, e-educate gid naton ang aton pumoluyo on how to fight, prepare and prevent dengue sa aton kabaranggayan (We are going to disseminate proper information and educate barangay residents on how to fight, prepare, and prevent dengue).”
Earlier this week, the Negros Occidental Provincial Health Office (PHO) revealed data over the weekend that showed a 73 percent increase in dengue cases across the province. PHO head, Dr. Ernell Tumimbang, said, between January and June of this year, they have recorded a total 2,800 dengue cases, up from the 1,600 recorded during the same period last year.
Records showed the highest number of cases were reported in Kabankalan City, San Carlos City, Bago City, Cadiz City, and Cauayan.
PHO also noted there were 10 fatalities this year, five of which were recorded in Cadiz City, the highest of any locality in the province./WDJ