Army to remain on alert despite NPA ceasefire declaration

Posted by watchmen
December 10, 2018
Posted in HEADLINE

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

 

The Philippine Army 303rd Infantry Brigade (303 IB) will remain on ‘full alert’ status despite the New People’s Army (NPA) declaring a ceasefire for the holiday season.

303 IB commander, Colonel Benedict Arevalo, said if the NPA follows their truce or not, it will not have any effect on the present security situation.

Arevalo noted, NPA rebels usually conduct attacks before and after the day of the ceasefire.

He added, it is not yet sure if all NPA units will follow the mandate since they have previously experienced violations of past ceasefire declaration.

Earlier this week, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said they are not inclined to recommending a Christmas truce with the communist rebels, stating, suspensions of military operations have not worked to the best interest of Filipinos.

The AFP added, they do not want the NPA to use the holiday truce as an opportunity to celebrate their 50th anniversary on December 26.

However, the AFP is still prepared to follow orders from President Rodrigo Duterte if he decides to also declare a ceasefire with the rebels./DGB, WDJ

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *