Family of Calatrava ambush victim doubt NPA involvement

Posted by watchmen
June 27, 2017
Posted in TOP STORIES

By Dominique Gabriel G. Bañaga

The family of the Calatrava sugar planter that was killed in an ambush last Thursday doubt the New People’s Army (NPA) was behind the incident.
According to Raul Baterna, the brother-in-law of slain planter Norberto Lumayno, it was a “diversionary tactic” by the gunmen in order to lay the blame to the NPA.
He explained members of the NPA would never leave important documents and items behind, adding, the group has yet to claim responsibility to the attack.
Baterna also pointed to another incident in which his in-law’s land was raided by gunmen claiming to be NPA members of the NPA. They were later discovered to be “goons” sent by barangay officials in the mountainous part of the town.
He believes the real assailants are trying to mislead investigators.
Baterna added, Lumayno’s wife will be visiting the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) today to file a complaint.
Meanwhile, Calatrava Mayor Araceli Somosa said the ambush in Barangay Minapasok was due to a “land dispute,” noting, he has been receiving information regarding the problem since last year.
Somosa said Lumayno’s opponents in the dispute also visited his office on a prior occasion.
Due to the incident, Somosa is urging the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) to intervene in order to resolve other land disputes in the town.
Last Friday, the Philippine Army confirmed the NPA was responsible for the deadly ambush that killed Lumayno and his driver Danilo Braga.
According to the 62nd Infantry Battalion, they engaged the suspected gunmen minutes after the incident in neighboring Barangay Cambayobo in the said municipality.
The gunmen were later pushed back and authorities recovered several items, including a rebel flag and several anti-government documents./WDJ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *